Sunday, February 28, 2016

A Few Differences

Alrighty folks, 

      Since coming to Ireland I have been asked quite a few questions about the cultural differences between Ireland and the good life in Nebraska. I'm not going to lie to you--there are definitely some differences but there are quite a few similarities as well.  One of the huge cultural differences is the difference in language. Where I’m staying, quite a bit of the population can speak Irish fluently, whereas in other areas—not so much. However, ladies, I will say that the Irishmen and their accents are to die for. Especially when they can sing. And that brings in my next point. Music seeps deep into the culture and tradition here. Wherever I go, whether it’s out to a pub or walking around, there is music. It’s one of my favorite parts about Ireland. “Galway Girl” is my jam and I honestly don’t really care who sings it. There is quite a bit more than just traditional Irish music too. I can tell you that the Irish love their Johnny Cash and I found myself singing along to Bon Jovi as well. Where there is music, food is always nearby. As far as having the same food such as candy here as we do at home—it’s a lie. The pop is really quite different as well as the candy. Starburst are strawberry, orange, lemon lime, and black currant. Crazy. The Irish can make a mean tomato soup. I do not say that lightly, either. I would sell my left kidney for the recipe of the soup that I had at a small café while visiting the Aran Islands. One major thing that is similar is how nice the people are. I know I’m biased, but the people here remind me a lot of the folks back home that are always willing to help someone in need without expecting anything in return. If I have a question or concern, everyone I have met has always gone above and beyond to help me. Even with all of the different things I am experiencing here, I feel like it’s home because of the people. I could give you all a hundred reasons why I love it here and I don’t want to leave, but my number one reason will be the people every single time. They’re kind and giving and fun and easy going and willing. I know I didn’t cover all of the bases, and if you have any questions, please feel free to message me on Facebook and I can elaborate a little more for you.


--Lex.


No comments:

Post a Comment