Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Aran Islands and Dublin

To Whomever Wants to Hear About My Ireland Experience:

          I have had a crazy few weeks here in Ireland! Last weekend, I made my way out to the Aran Islands and on Tuesday I was already off to Dublin. The Aran Islands were stunningly beautiful, but the weather was not what I was hoping it would be. In all of my twenty-two years, I do not think I have ever been as thoroughly soaked through like I was after our 10 (ish) mile hike around the Island, and that was even after I bought an extremely stylish and flattering neon yellow poncho. I definitely would love to go back on a nicer day and experience what the islands have to offer even more than I did. The Islands really reminded me of home. It was a very small, tight-knit community. Everyone seemed to know everyone, where they all lived, and everything else about them. For example, our bus driver drove by our tour guide’s house and informed the group that he would be home.

I loved all of the trip, but I did have a favorite part. My favorite part of the Aran Islands was peering down the edge of the cliffs. I watch the waves swell, crash, roar, and repeat into the rocks that I was standing on top of. The ocean was vast and gray tinted with blue. Serene and wild. Beautiful and dangerous. I have never experienced anything like it.

     





     
                                  


On Tuesday we left for Dublin, but on the way we stopped at Clonmacnoise. There, we watched a video on the history and a tour guide led us through the grounds. It was eye opening to see how much devastation that can happen, and the people stand back up, rebuild, and continue on. It was a lot to see and I really, really enjoyed stopping there.



While Dublin had a very different feel than the Aran Islands, I loved it just as much. The first day we got there we toured the Kilmainham Gaol. We walked through the different areas and saw first hand how the gaol transformed throughout the years it was used.
The next day, a large portion of our group  travelled a bit out of Dublin and went zip-lining and tree climbing. It was so much fun and a good way to get outside and play. I did get a few bruises that I may or may not still have, but it was worth it.
The day after that, the group was free to do whatever they wanted. Before even coming to Ireland Trinity College was on my list of places to go sometime during my lifespan. And let me tell you it was amazing. Being the nerd girl that I am, I spend 45 minutes in the Long Room, soaking it all in. I can't describe it to you, and the pictures can't do it justice. The smell of the old books hit you like a wall when you walk up the stairs that lead to the library. The shelves are lined with the busts of the elite such as Plato, Newton, and Shakespeare. I could sit in that room and just be for hours. I honestly don't think my heart has ever been as happy in Ireland as it was when I was in that room. How I'm describing it isn't up to par, so I'm going to stop. Just trust me when I say this--you have to go.

 

Later on that day, I went to the Irish Whiskey Museum where I learned a lot about some of the lesser known brands of Irish Whiskey. There we went through the history of why and how it was made among other things. It was crazy to realize how much influence the United States had on the success of whiskey throughout history--the Prohibition affected not only us, but a lot of the world. Who knew?
Even later that day (I had a pretty busy day), Sara and I met up with a few other UNK students and checked out the Wax Museum. It was interesting and lighthearted which was a nice change. While being there, Shane, Sara, Marissa and I got to hang out with our childhood friends, a few famous people, and even Dracula.


No comments:

Post a Comment